Escher CMS 0.9.2 Coming Soon!
The first major update to Escher CMS is in the works and nearing release. It has some cool new features that I’m really excited about. Here are the highlights:
- Drag & Drop ordering of pages (complete with ajaxy goodness!)
- Unlimited custom metadata for images, files and links
- Support for separate read-only database(s) (for load-balancing MySQL queries to replicated slaves)
- Enhanced password security (PHPass integrated)
and the pièce de résistance…
- Integrated development and staging branches. This is killer. Update and preview changes to your production site without affecting what the live site is serving to visitors. No separate development server or staging server to synchronize to. You don’t even need a separate installation of Escher CMS. Simply configure your DNS with a couple additional subdomains (eg. dev.mysite.com, staging.mysite.com) and you’re good to go. Once your changes look good, push them to production to take them live. This is seriously the easiest mechanism I have ever seen for making design changes to production sites.
This release is still in testing, but if you’re feeling brave and would like to try it, you can grab it from the default branch of the Google Code repository here. A couple things to keep in mind:
- Escher 0.9.2 requires Spark/Plug 1.1 or later. You can grab this from Spark/Plug’s Google Code repository here.
- Be sure to read the RELEASE.txt and UPGRADE.txt files.
- Please, don’t install this on a production site. I don’t consider it to be production-ready quite yet.